As telehealth services get more and more popular during this pandemic we explore the benefits and drawbacks of virtual psychology services.
Without further ado, here is our list:
- Avoid the hassles of traffic.
- Telepsychology visits have no risk regarding COVID-19.
- Most people like having therapy services at home.
- Visits with a psychologist involve talking, which is easily accomplished through a video chat with a good connection to the internet. I use a HIPPA compliant video connection through my Therapy Portal.
- Providers can provide psychotherapy services to clients across their state of licensure and are not limited to a smaller geographic area.
When is telepsychology not a good idea?
- If a neuropsychological evaluation is needed, in-person visits are necessary for most of the battery.
- If a client does not have a quiet and private place to meet, an in-person visit is preferred.
- If a client does not have a good connection to the internet, an in-person visit is better.
- If an evaluation for entry to the Gifted and Talented Program is needed, the child and parent must come in for in-person testing.
- Younger children (under 8 years old), or children who are somewhat less verbal, children who are distracted by technology during the telepsychology visit, or for children who might be more hesitant to meet with a therapist, an in-person visit is indicated.